Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Imaginarium of Terry Gilliam

I went to see the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus last night. Am still trying to figure out what the deal is with one of the strangest films I've ever seen!

Great performances and fantastic special effects but the narrative is rather weak, truth be told. While Heath Ledger is excellent in it (RIP), I thought Johnny Depp would have been better cast in that part. He brought the same edginess to it that Ledger brought to the Joker.

Lily Cole is excellent as the daughter of Dr Parnassus, but I thought the character was sloppily drawn, or else heavily edited. She is a totally one-dimensional, sweet teenage girl until the point where she screams "I'm a woman now! A selfish bitch!" which is a little odd as she's really shown no signs of any selfishness, apart from wanting to get off with Colin Farrell, which is just natural really.

A few Python-esque sequences stuck out a bit although the trips through the mirror were done beautifully on the whole, very trippy.

I love fantasy, I love comedy, and I love almost all the constituent parts of this film - cast, director, concept. But it just doesn't come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't post anything libellous, because I'll just have to delete it.